Not all that protected, after all
The intention of creating protected natural areas is to protect them in the long term from destructive human activities. Governments do not always follow these intentions, however, and often legally remove protections and reduce the extent of protected areas. Golden Kroner et al. looked across the United States and Amazonia over the past 200 years and found more than 700 such changes, two-thirds of which have occurred since the year 2000 (see the Perspective by Naughton-Treves and Holland). The majority of these were to permit destructive practices, such as resource extraction. Thus, these changes do not just alter status but lead to irreparable environmental harm.
The evergreen, fragrant Osmanthus-bushes with lingering scent have given the Chinese megacity Guilin its name: "Forest City of Scented Flowers". Now, that gives a feeling for the problem too. Howey Ou, 16, declared she is on climate strike at the new six-lane road in front of the huge building of the regional government.
Howey announced that she would protest until the government of the world's largest CO2 emitter makes quick and effective climate promises. t-online.de has reached out to of 16 year young teen. "Every country has to take action NOW," she writes in English. She is not so profocient in that language; sometimes the questions need repetitions until she understands what they mean.
YOU CAN'T TRUELY OWN WHAT YOU OR YOUR FAMILY HAVE NOT CREATED.
Who has a scythe sharp enough to fell the stalks of capitalism today? It’s not Marx, Lenin or Mao
The western idea of private property is flawed. Indigenous peoples have it right
We live in a world dominated by the principle of private property.
Once indigenous people were dispossessed of their lands, the land was surveyed, subdivided and sold to the highest bidder. From high above, continents now appear as an endless property patchwork of green and yellow farms, beige suburban homes and metallic gray city blocks stretching from sea to shining sea.
The central logic of this regime is productivity, and indeed it has been monstrously productive. In tandem with the industrial revolution, the fruits of billions of acres of dispossessed and parceled indigenous land across the Americas, Africa, Asia, Ireland and Australia enabled two English-speaking empires – first the British and then the American – to rise to global dominance. The latter remains the most productive economy in the world.
UN Officials Concerned Radioactive “Coffin” Is Leaking Into The Pacific Ocean
Earlier this month, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres cited concerns that a decades-old nuclear “kind of coffin” could be leaking radioactive fallout into the Pacific Ocean but was still heavily ignored by the rest of the world.
Between 1946 and 1958, the US government tested 67 nuclear weapons in the Marshall Islands, including the 1954 Bravo hydrogen bomb measuring 1,000 times bigger than the atomic bomb on Hiroshima – the biggest and most powerful nuclear weapon ever detonated by the US. Testing occurred on the surface of atoll lagoons, many of the islands, and underwater, resulting in it what is known as a “close in” fallout. This contaminated sediment from local islands that eventually flow into the North Pacific Ocean.
The concerns must be taken serious since also Fukushima is still leaking and the Pacific Ocean is now the most nuclear contaminated sea in the world.
“In order to achieve the massive systemic and cultural transformations required for mitigating climate change…we’re going to have to deal with the socially sanctioned, institutionalized violence perpetrated by U.S. foreign policy that is pouring fuel on the fire of global warming.” Stacy Bannerman
Climate Change Causes War ... and vice a versa
There is the close relationship between war and climate change that can be seen in a cycle of feedback loops creating the interlocking crisis.
Tall and old or dense and young: Which kind of forest is better for the climate?
- Scientists say reforestation and better forest management can provide 18 percent of climate change mitigation through 2030. But studies appear to be divided about whether it’s better to prioritize the conservation of old forests or the replanting of young ones.
- A closer look, however, reconciles these two viewpoints. While young forests tend to absorb more carbon overall because trees can be crowded together when they’re small, a tree’s carbon absorption rate accelerates as it ages. This means that forests comprised of tall, old trees – like the temperate rainforests of North America’s Pacific coast – are some of the planet’s biggest carbon storehouses.
- But when forests are logged, their immense stores of carbon are quickly released. A study found the logging of forests in the U.S. state of Oregon emitted 33 million tons of CO2 – almost as much as the world’s dirtiest coal plant.
- Researchers are calling on industry to help buffer climate change by doubling tree harvest rotations to 80 years, and urge government agencies managing forests to impose their own harvest restrictions.
Regenerate: Formed or created again; spiritually reborn or converted; restored to a better, higher, or more worthy state. –Webster
“Regenerative agriculture provides answers to the soil crisis, the food crisis, the climate crisis and the crisis of democracy.” – Vandana Shiva, Regeneration International Co-Founder
Five years ago, at the massive People’s Climate March in New York City, a small but determined band of food, farm, natural health and climate activists held a press conference at the Rodale Institute in Manhattan, where we announced the formation of a new global network: Regeneration International (RI).
BAYER, DOW, L’OREAL using potentially harmful chemicals illegally – investigation
“Chemical companies have been disregarding the law for years and getting away with it, selling substances that might cause hormonal cancers, brain disorders and other severe health problems,” said BUND’s chemical policy officer Manuel Fernandez. “EU and national authorities need to raise their game in a big way.”
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) acknowledged that companies have been known to flout chemical safety laws last November, investigating 700 widely used chemicals and finding that two thirds of them broke REACH, the agency’s key safety regulation.
In Sweden, prosecutors have applied to the Swedish courts to issue a warrant for Julian’s arrest. There is a tremendous back story to that simple statement.
The European Arrest Warrant must be issued from one country to another by a judicial authority. The original Swedish request for Assange’s extradition was not issued by any court, but simply by the prosecutor. This was particularly strange, as the Chief Prosecutor of Stockholm had initially closed the case after deciding there was no case to answer, and then another, highly politically motivated, prosecutor had reopened the case and issued a European Arrest Warrant, without going to any judge for confirmation.
REBOUNCE AT THE HELM OF SOUTH AMERICA
Constantly updated and amended - (Refresh your Browser! - or click READ MORE). No time to read and study? - in order to understand or to find an answer to the question: Why does the USA want to impose their kind of "democrazy" on Venezuela and enforce regime-change? - JUST WATCH 2:40 Minute CLIP, read this most important new STUDY as well as the heinous MASTERPLAN and stand by the Venezuelan people in solidarity and friendship.
In situations of war, collective violence or atrocity there is no such thing as a neutral stance. Passive by-standing is aiding and abetting evil. Don’t be complicit. "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor!" - Desmond Tutu
We received many requests from students and scholars, who want to use our Venezuela Files compilation for their project and also e.g. compare the events per timeline with the happenings in their own countries. All are permitted and encouraged to do so. If you feel an important piece in the puzzle of this timeline is missing, please send to info[AT]ecoterra[DOT]info or send your comments to the editor of this segment and the collective: Venatrix Fulmen <venatrix.fulmen[AT]tutanota[DOT]com>
LISTEN WHILE READING: They Don't Care About Us !
Update MON 20. May 2019 (vf): President of Venezuela, .
@NicolasMaduro "It was worth taking the road of elections and peace, we (Chavismo) are looking for more! We had 23 victories in 25 elections." Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro proposes early elections for opposition-held National Assembly, currently headed by opposition leader and self-declared interim president Juan Guaido.
Chavistas March in Caracas to Mark Nicolas Maduro’s Re-election
Supporters of President Nicolas Maduro marched Monday to commemorate the first anniversary of the re-election of President Nicolas Maduro as part of the elections of May 20, 2018.
They gathered in the streets of Caracas early morning in a bid to ratify their support for the Bolivarian Revolution, and their commitment to defend democracy, sovereignty in face of an increasing interference by the United States.
Carmen Zerpa, the organizer of the march by the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) said people also wanted to show their support for President Maduro and ratify his victory in last year's elections.
"We celebrate this year the popular victory and gallantry, during which time the Venezuelan people have defended the Bolivarian project and told the bourgeoisie that they will not return, that here is a project that has to be respected because it is the will of the majorities," Zerpa said.
President Maduro expressed his commitment to defend the popular will of the people.
He wrote on Twitter, “We celebrate the 1st Anniversary of the popular victory of May 20 in which Venezuelans decided in favor of peace, democracy, and freedom. Today, in an indissoluble Civic-Military union, we defend that sovereign election with courage. Here Command the People!”
Update: The upcoming report by the Federal Commission on Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Canada is scheduled to be released on June 3, 2019 - check back on this site.
Human Rights Org: Treatment of Indigenous People is Genocide
By tS/vf - 18 May 2019
The treatment of Indigenous peoples in Canada was reviewed and will henceforth be identified as a genocide, the Winnipeg-based Museum for Human Rights has declared.
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) has come forward and said that the organization now recognizes the colonial experience in the country, from the time of first contact to present day, as a humanitarian crime.
"I think for many years we didn't think it was the role of a museum to declare this to be a genocide," Louise Waldman, the museum's manager of marketing and communications, said. "And I think now what's happened is we understand it's not just our role, but our responsibility and our commitment as a national institution that's dedicated to human rights education."
Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples in Universities and Colleges
“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” — James Baldwin
Climate change is the apex crisis of all time and the US military is the prime crisis multiplier.
As we approach the horizon of climate disaster it certainly looks like the predatory phase of human history — of which war is just the most glaring example — is related to our predatory relationship with nature. At the center of the storm is the interlocking crisis of militarism and climate destruction.
We will evolve beyond perpetual war and global empire or face climate chaos.
The coalition 'Articulation of Indigenous Peoples of Brazil' (APIB) is calling a boycott of companies that include invaders of protected areas in their supply chains.
To support this call the group has disclosed a list of foreign companies that have engaged in trade with Brazilian agribusiness agents accused of acting in areas of indigenous land conflicts and extracting resources from protected areas.
Besides the boycott, APIB's intention is to submit the data to the European Parliament and ask it to take action.
Eloy Terena, APIB's legal counsel, said: "Traders in Europe and North America can help by cutting ties with these bad Brazilian actors, thus sending a clear signal to Jair Bolsonaro that the rest of the world will not tolerate his policies."
Page 2 of 38
- human rights
- Julian Assange
- Indigenous Peoples
- media freedom
- Indigenous peoples rights
- indigenous territory
Get Your EcoNews
EcoNews - Calendar
Most Read Articles
- Abolish the Term Tribe
- Stolen SA Lands must be Returned to the San
- The War on Assange Is a War on Press Freedom
- THE VENEZUELA FILES I
- FREE WEST PAPUA
- NO CONFIDENCE IN CITES
- MSM Refuse To Defend Assange
- Current Student-Led Protests in Nicaragua
- Seven Capital Vices of China in Africa
- Can the Ethiopian/Eritrean Alliance Bring Peace To South Sudan?
- UNHCR, AU and Zambia fail to uphold the Refugee Conventions
- The Sand Mafia
- Twa community attacked in southern Rwanda
- Criminals on the International Criminal Court
- Gardasil Vaccine Is Deadly
- Geopolitics Shadow Ethiopia’s Foul Murder
- NATO Needs to End
- Reunite Immigrant Families
- U.S. Presence in Syria Is Illegal
- Inside WikiLeaks
- The Eerie Silence Surrounding the Assange Case
- The Monsanto / BAYER Papers
- Global Defence Movement Needed
- Bringing Julian Assange Home
- The Dangers of Celebrity Activists
- Al-Qaeda Weapons in Syria Traced
- City of London and Grand Theft Ethiopia
- They’ve Left us Behind
- Sami Nation embraces Rights of Mother Earth
- The 'Murder' Of Julian Assange
- Israel Declares Itself Apartheid State
- Ecuador, the UK and Julian Assange’s Fate
- Ogiek Want Their Mau Forest Back
- Your Body Emits Light
- Chinese gangs fuel illegal South Africa abalone trade: report
- Returning the Land to the Real People
- Governments Helping Others Spy
- Chronic corruption in UN resettlement process
- Nairobi National Park Critically Endangered
- U.S., Japan decline to sign G7 agreement to reduce plastic waste in oceans
- Dam Manager in Ethiopia Found Dead
- HOLD THE FRONT PAGE. THE REPORTERS ARE MISSING
- 5G: Harmful effects of a new technology
- How Did Benghazi Become a Ruin?
- Catalans Elect Freedom
- Another Mozambique Land Grab
- The End of Ethiopia’s TPLF Regime
- HEALTH WARNING FOR CUMBRIAN BEACHES
- USA’s "Soft" Coup in Ethiopia
- Fresh protests, arrests and state-murders in Ethiopia
- Gene-Edited Products Now Classified as GMOs
- Did Trump Kill the Globalist New World Order?
- Who Owns Diseases?
- Technologies of Life and of Extermination
- Boycott Indonesia For West Papua Independence
- Railway Boom Turned to Dust
- Monsanto hid cancer danger of weedkiller for decades
- Trump's Disastrous Syria Attack
- Where Is the Outrage About Julian Assange's Silencing?
- Absolute Radical Green Freedom