By Ali Cheaib (*) - 19.
We live today in a grim reality in which freespeech is suppressed not just by governments but increasingy by corporations. And knowing that almost every media outlet today is privately owned, the constitutional rights for the freedom of speech have become nothing more than a cynical joke. When was the last time you received your news from a public or government-owned platform? They are almost all private.
It's self-evident that the republics of the world have outsourced the suppression of freespeech to the private sector. In this day and age, it's not the governments that silence the critics, but it's the social media cartel such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. These private companies call themselves communities, but in fact, they're dictatorships. In a community, you can contribute to decision-making, but on LinkedIn or Facebook or Instagram or Twitter decision-making is always taken in a top-down structure and it's always consolidated in the hands of a few CEOs.
The price we all have to pay for democracy is hearing the other side. When a society starts silencing the voices it disagrees with, it gradually slides to tyranny, which the history books know very well how awful and devastating it is to the public. If you can’t handle listening to the other side, then honestly you don’t deserve democracy. You’re better off having a fascist dictator like Mussolini run your society.
There's no hate speech or anger speech or love speech but ONLY speech. If you don’t believe in freespeech for those you hate or fear or disagree with, then you don’t believe in freespeech. Limiting speech is what dictators do. Always remember this. I might disagree with you, but I’ll always protect your right to express your opinions — this is precisely what freespeech means. Evelyn Beatrice Hall said it beautifully in 1906: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Over a century before Beatrice, Voltaire said: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize."
In theory, writers and journalists in the United States enjoy the freedom of speech and the press, but in practice, unfortunately, such liberties are suppressed. Independent writers around the globe are being systematically oppressed or shut down while corporate employees who masquerade themselves as journalists are pedestalized.
In a world controlled by large corporations, getting your information from large corporations is just stupid. The sad truth is that those who appear daily on American mainstream media don't represent the views of the American public. They are millionaires paid by billionaires to push the narratives of the elites to normalize a world view for the masses. Avoiding corporate media in favor of independent journalism is a reasonable course of action that everyone should take.
I write this article to highlight some independent journalists that I think you should listen to instead of corporate media.
Here’s the list:
1. The Real News Network: https://is.gd/5JQ51A
2. Democracy Now: https://is.gd/Rop15G
3. RonPaulLibertyReport: https://is.gd/ZmVEN0
4. Ben Swann: https://is.gd/0Eaoup
5. The Grayzone: https://is.gd/UYGyZe
6. The Jimmy Dore Show: https://is.gd/iqerkj
7. In the NOW: https://is.gd/hXYVPU
8. Press For Truth: https://is.gd/b5vZ2v
9. TRT World: https://is.gd/mFlnhY
10. The Last American Vagabond: https://is.gd/kZpq1t
11. Redacted Tonight: https://is.gd/0dpHvV
12. MintPressNews: https://is.gd/NNlKgo
13. The Intercept: https://is.gd/YHFKPG
14. Senator Bernie Sanders: https://is.gd/LSRiCW
15. VisualPolitik EN: https://is.gd/0AT4tX
16. Carey Wedler: https://is.gd/kPRemz
17. Representative Press: https://is.gd/9cA6km
18. If Americans Knew: https://is.gd/9HBPRh
19. Thejuicemedia: https://is.gd/ktYHIy
20. ReasonTV: https://is.gd/VEI7FB
21. acttv: https://is.gd/xU3t27
22. corbettreport: https://is.gd/p7jsYm
23. Know More News: https://is.gd/WNuE7w
24. Secular Talk: https://is.gd/iU0w1H
25. Kim Iversen: https://is.gd/d6cJzg
26. Redfish: https://is.gd/mUAh0h
27. The Free Thought Project: https://is.gd/238x45
28. Middle East Monitor: https://is.gd/gUhBdk
29. Middle East Eye: https://is.gd/wLvJQf
30. Ralph Nader Radio Hour: https://is.gd/BMCLV4
31. The Nation: https://is.gd/VyxR3x
32. Gordon Dimmack: https://is.gd/Xx3dYS
... and of course check regularly our ECOnews Portal
Ali Cheaib - Independent Journalist