Violent Robbery Results in Refugee Death

Scene where gunmen killed, Tayiin Manyang - South Sudanese refugee

By Ibrahim – KANERE reporters - December 31, 2018

One refugee killed by gunshot and a dozen injured by gunmen in Kakuma.

The armed attackers ambushed a group of refugees between Kakuma Camps 2 and 3, robbing them of money and mobile phones while holding them at gunpoint.

“Gunmen emerged from the bush, stopped us, and instructed us to surrender our phones,” eye witness Dak told a KANERE reporter.

The incident took place on October 5th, 2018 around 19:00 hours between Kakuma 2 and 3, near Angelina Jolie Girls Boarding Primary School. The incident was immediately reported to Kakuma police station.

According to eye witnesses, Chol Koan Deng was killed when he resisted the demands of the ambushers. “He was shot when he refuses to surrender his wallet and phone,” explained Dak.

Deng, 38 years old and a father of 6 children who lived with him in the camp, has previously worked with camp agencies including the UNHCR, for whom he served as an interpreter.

“After they killed him, they took his phone and money from his pocket,” one close relative to Deng told KANERE.

The deceased and other victims were returning home from Kakuma 4, where they had spent the whole day raising funds for an Evangelical church serving the Nuer community. Dak reflected that “it had been a good day full of activities and plans, before we were attacked.”

The attackers were suspected to be from the host community, as the eye witness recalled that three men were armed with knives on their wrist and AK47 rifles, and one held a wooden stool. Before the incident, the gunmen were allegedly looting other passersby along the paths that connect Kakuma two and three.

Police in Kakuma have launched an investigation but have not apprehended anyone in connection to the murder.

Originally published by:

Kakuma News Reflector – A Refugee Free Press

an excellent project that unfortunately died also with this last post on 31. December 2018.










Two killed in communal violence

BY Tut Nyink – KANERE reporter - December 31, 2018

Dispute over woman results in the deaths of at least two people and many injured.

At around 8:25PM on 10th of December 2018, violence broke out among South Sudanese residents in Kakuma 3 (Block 13, Zone 1). The fight was precipitated when people from one Nuer clan sought revenge over an ongoing dispute with another Nuer clan.

“The two clans belong to Luo Nuer, and the reason for the fight was recycled from the last year,” explained community security worker Gat Dak in Kakuma 4.

The conflict arose in mid-2017, when a boy from the Mor clan was accused of causing the illegitimate pregnancy of a girl from the Gatbhal clan. The girl’s brother was accused of murdering a member of the Mor clan. The Gatbhal community elders apprehended the girl’s brother and surrendered him to the Kenya police in order to avoid escalation of the incident. The man, who was identified as Matom, has been detained at Lodwar prison since that time.

“Matom was imprisoned in a murder case, but the person who impregnated his sister has fled from Kakuma. The girl is in UNHCR protection area with her child.” John Sudanese youth leader told KANERE

In the most recent incident, the girls’ relatives went to the Mor clan’s community looking for the boy responsible for the pregnancy. While they did not find him, an argument arose with members from the opposing clan. This quickly devolved into a brawl and resulted in two deaths among the Mor clan, sparking fresh tension within these Sudanese communities.

KANERE confirmed the deaths through interviews with community security personnel, who also affirmed that the dispute stretches back to 2017.

Members from both clans wielded machetes, metal rods, wooden sticks and stones, and at least 20 people from both sides were injured. A youth leader at a joint clan meeting in Kakuma 3 said that most of the injured have received treatment from health facilities in the camp, while two were taken to Lokichogio in a critical condition.

Kenya police arrived at the scene and arrested about 15 individuals across both clans. Many were released after investigation, in an attempt to avoid continued fighting, but the tension remained high over the ensuing weeks in December.

Beyond the dispute over the unsanctioned pregnancy, the two clans have been embroiled in conflict for at least two years at other venues including football events and weddings. Although the camp authorities have issued security warnings against engaging in matters that arise from conflict or illegal misconduct, vengeful youth continue to turn gatherings toward violence.

“In a South Sudanese community, a fight over a woman is always feared as potentially dangerous,” explained one elder from the Nuer community.